Thursday 21 February 2008

PHEWW - thank you Wikispaces!

Just as I thought, despite some little gnawing doubts, an unexpected server failure at Wikispaces was soon fixed as the day started in the western parts of the world. I am so relieved! All my project work is up and running as it should be.

I was particularly impressed by the efficiency of the Wikispaces team in sending personal email replies to those who had queried about this. What a nice touch - much missed in my part of the world! I just love Wikispaces and would recommend it to any teacher. Top marks for their dedication and professionalism.

One thing that this experience made me remember is that it's actually real people behind all these Internet services and widgets and bells and whistles. Sometimes I tend to ignore this when it's just me, my laptop, the keyboard and stuff that I can magically make happen on the screen. It's reassuring to know that there are people I can turn to when technology doesn't do what I would expect it to.

Then again, we do hear about communication cables being cut in the ocean that disrupt Internet connections between continents, or friends mysteriously losing all their digital photos from their hard discs. What if one day the whole WWW shuts down? Oh well, rather than fretting about Internet doom, I will continue my adventures in the wonderland of 21st-century technology, with a little help from my friends on the net every now and then.

No comments: